Physical Education Substitution
Liberty Hill Independent School District (Liberty Hill ISD) allows private or commercial physical education substitutions at the Liberty Hill Junior High and High School. The application is posted in the links on the left side of this website. It must be printed, signed, and submitted, along with required documentation, by a parent/guardian. The window to submit the application is January - April. All applications must be received before May.
For junior high credit, the program must be certified by the Superintendent to be of high quality and well supervised by appropriately trained instructors. Students may not be excused for any part of the school day to participate in the off-campus programs.
At the high school level, there are two categories:
Category 1 (Olympic/National Level Only): To qualify as a category 1, students must have documentation of Olympic standing or national athletic status or rank. Students are supervised a minimum of 15 hours of highly intensive professional training per week. The training facility, instructors, and activities involved in the program must be certified by the superintendent to be of exceptional quality, capable of training national athletes and/or Olympic level athletes. Students qualifying and participating at this level can be dismissed from school no more than one period per day and cannot miss any class other than physical education.
Category 2: This category requires at least 5 hours of supervised, physical training per week. The training facility, instructors, and activities involved in the program must be certified by the superintendent to be of high quality. Students who participate are not dismissed from any part of the school day.
Programs must be certified by the Superintendent and presented to the School Board and Texas Education Agency. For more information, contact Dr. Toni Hicks, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum, Instruction, and Accountability, via phone at 512-260-5580.
The parent/guardian must:
- complete the parent form;
- collect the completed agency form and training plan;
- submit all documentation for approval;
- provide transportation to and from the physical activity program;
- ensure that a log of hours, signed by the trainer/coach, is submitted to the counselor before the end of each semester; and
- submit updated forms if there are changes regarding the agency, trainer/coach, or training plan.
The agency providing the training must:
- indicate the training facility/program type (Category 1 or 2);
- provide evidence supporting the quality of the training facility/program;
- provide evidence supporting the qualifications of the trainer/coach;
- indicate whether the student will keep a log of hours or if the agency will provide a log of hours for the trainer/coach to sign; and
- complete updated forms for the parent to submit to the school if there are changes regarding the agency or trainer/coach.
The trainer/coach must:
- provide student training information (Category 1: documentation of Olympic or national participation/competition and a training schedule, Category 2: a training schedule);
- provide student training as approved for PE substitution;
- sign a log of student activity hours to be submitted to the counselor before the end of each semester; and
- complete updated forms for the parent to submit to the school if there are changes regarding the training plan.
Applications will be reviewed before the upcoming school year for appropriate student scheduling.